Lead Manager, Business Continuity
- Published: Tuesday, 10 January 2017 10:01
Location: US, Owings Mills, MD
Company: T. Rowe Price
Primary purpose of the position
BCM is committed to maintaining the operational integrity of critical business functions as well as the reduction of potential risks resulting from a wide range of potentially disruptive events through the development, testing and integration of contingency plans and processes. BCM is responsible for ensuring the day to day resiliency posture for the firm and serves as the in-house subject matter experts for continuity and resiliency related issues. As part of the BCM Team the incumbent will be responsible for leading the development, maintenance, and testing of response and recovery plans of assigned business units to ensure they can resume critical activities within identified time frames. This includes identification, reduction/elimination and/or escalation of potential risks and vulnerabilities that could result from a disruption of critical processes at any TRP office due to natural disasters, technical failures, third party vendor failures, market disruptions or human error. The incumbent is expected to be available during non-business hours to address issues that may arise.
Build the BCM Program
What is expected: BC Lead Manager is expected to strengthen and grow the BCM program through conducting a business impact analysis; developing business continuity and disaster recovery plans; testing those plans, and ensuring any gaps are remediated.
Business Continuity Planning
- Interviews business managers and BCC’s and observes the exercises and recovery events. Uses issues log, tester feedback and other tools to identify areas of needed improvement
- Develops, proposes and directs the implementation of business continuity strategies by ensuring business units can resume essential functions.
- Influences management to make decisions in areas where changes are necessary
- Ensures sufficient documentation and ownership by business unit; follows up with business unit on action items to ensure timely completion
- Exercises judgment to review the recovery of unique and complex business processes
- Demonstrates accuracy with observations with concrete data and first hand inspection of processes and uses all proper forms of documentation (meeting notes, best process tools, etc.)
- Leading high profile initiatives to develop, enhance, and disseminate continuity initiatives.
- Constantly assess business continuity needs as business processes change then in collaboration with the business units make recommendations to Senior Management
Functional exercises require associates to report to the TRP Maryland Business Continuity Recovery Site (MBCRS) on a specific day and perform their production work at the site for the full day. Advance detailed planning and preparation coupled with strong oversight and communication is required.
- Works with Business Continuity Coordinators in the development and execution of functional BC exercises and technology recovery exercises (DRE)
- Participates in the development and execution of executive tabletop exercises as well as leads the execution of operational level tabletop exercises
- Executes notification exercises when required using the vendor notification system
Maintain BC Documentation
Business Continuity plans are living documents that must change as the organization changes.
- Ensures business continuity documentation including policies and procedures are kept up-to-date and maintains documentation in the eGRC system
- As part of the overall responsibilities of the BCM team coordinate updates to the appropriate BC and Enterprise content modules within the eGRC system
- Recommend and lead BC Module upgrades/changes efforts
- Develop test scripts and assign testing roles amongst BCM team
- Ensure data tables are appropriately updated for BCM
- Processes (based on BIA’s)
- Applications (from Remedy)
- Vendors (from Service Now)
- Business Hierarchy (from Workday)
- Initiate and track user access roles and requests for BCM Module
- Assists the Global Business Continuity Manager to complete the annual Business Impact Analysis with the respective business unit leaders in the eGRC system.
- Works with unit coordinators to input their continuity strategies, task, and requirements, as well as maintain their recovery builds in the eGRC system.
- Maintains assigned compliance documentation in the C360 repository
- Working with the Vendor Management Office and the assigned VRM, performs required analysis of third party vendor business resilience capabilities to ensure they meet the business needs as determined by their business impact analysis.
What is expected: BC Lead Manager supports the firm’s business continuity response during incidents and could be expected to be the lead facilitator for the BC Team when on call to do so.
- Provides “On Call” 24/7 support when a business disruption occurs.
- Assists the Global BCM in incident response
- Serves as back up to the Global BCM as needed to lead firm wide incident response
- Serves as point person for assigned business units during a response
- Conducts incident summaries and after actions reviews as directed.
- Assists in the development of recovery strategy playbooks for identified scenarios
Training and Awareness
What is expected: BC Lead Manager promotes the awareness of the Firm’s business continuity program capabilities, features, and direction to internal and external stakeholders and provides training to recovery support staff.
- Assisting client facing units like RPS to respond to RFI/RFP and Due Diligence questionnaires utilizing the BCM Statement and BCM FAQ documents
- Meets with clients to review the firm’s business continuity program
- Develops and delivers firm wide business continuity awareness presentations and training
- Travel to regional US offices required
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree and 6 years business experience preferred
- 8 years of TRP or related experience preferred
- Basic knowledge of the risk management frameworks as they relate to financial service organizations.
- Understanding of industry standard BC planning principles, tools and techniques
- Displayed project management skills, leading a team through problem analysis, solution identification, resource acquisition, and implementation.
- Experience in dealing with external parties such as public emergency responders, with IT infrastructure, facilities and recovery service providers.
- Business Continuity, Risk Management, or Project Management certification
- Understanding of investment management, retail and retirement plan operations environments
- High level analytical and problem solving skills
- Advanced communication skills, both verbal and written
- Consistent demonstration of leadership qualities and abilities
- Strong customer service skills
- Solid negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a matrix-managed team environment
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Prior investment data experience
- Prior experience leading business projects
- Business Continuity certification
- College degree and 4 years of related work experience, or
- Associate degree and 6 years related work experience, or
- Solid understanding of asset manager/mutual fund operations and processes
- Knowledge of financial services operations and the securities markets
- Experience in performing requirements analysis and solid knowledge of methods and techniques to elicit and analyze business requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Office and related applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
- Experience in prioritizing multiple, complex tasks.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Willing to attain BC certification within 2 years
Interested candidates should apply here