Questions for businesses to consider before using drones
- Published: Friday, 10 March 2017 08:49
Drones are playing an increasingly important role in commercial environments but are enterprises prepared for ‘The Rise of the Drones’ in their operations? That’s the focus of a new white paper available from ISACA.
‘The Rise of the Drones’ outlines some of the potential uses of drone technology in a commercial environment, including business implications and risk considerations, as well as critical questions an enterprise must consider prior to implementing a drone program. These include:
- What factors must management consider prior to signing off on the acquisition and implementation of a corporate drone program?
- What questions must be asked to enable management to assess the far-ranging risks associated with the use of drones as a strategic business tool?
- What policies and procedures must be in place before the organization deploys its first corporate drone?
Along with the paper, ISACA polled its global membership to gauge the use of and planning for drones in their respective organizations. Among the findings of that survey are:
- 75 percent say security or privacy are their biggest concern about the business use of drones.
- 65 percent say most organizations that would benefit from the use of drones are unprepared to address the necessary security and privacy requirements.
- 63 percent do not believe their existing staff has sufficient expertise to evaluate the security of drones.
- Just 25 percent believe the benefits of drones outweigh the security and privacy risks—but an additional 48 percent say the benefits will outweigh the risks in the future, when those concerns are addressed more thoroughly.