Safety & Business Continuity Specialist
- Published: Friday, 24 July 2020 07:38
Location: US, CO, Durango
Company: La Plata Electric Association Inc.
The Safety and Business Continuity Specialist is expected to promote and support LPEA’s mission and vision, strategic goals and initiatives, the Code of Excellence, and LPEA’s Leadership Principles. They will collaborate across the organization to promote a culture of safety and to develop, implement, and evaluate LPEA’s programs to reduce occupational accidents and illnesses in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. They will also develop and administer LPEA’s Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity Plan.
- Initiate LPEA safety and training programs and ensures that a comprehensive and effective safety program is functioning on a continual basis.
- Plan and direct surveys and research studies to assure effective program operation and to recommend improvements to establish or modify standards with efforts directed at maintaining a zero accident/incident rate.
- Develop, manage, and train employees on Emergency Preparedness and Business Continuity Plan in partnership with relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Assign and/or lead on-site inspections, audits, noise level surveys and job observations ensuring corrective actions are taken to reduce or eliminate immediate hazards.
- Administrate, approve, and maintain PCB control program, DOT Commercial Drivers program, all employee driver records, DOT drug testing, MSDS program, and stay current on all OSHA requirements, providing updates as needed.
- Prepare and maintain Workers’ Compensation records between employees injured on the job and Federated Rural Electric Insurance Exchange.
- Interview and coordinate the investigation of accidents with supervisors and employees to determine causes and devise preventive measures. Compile and analyze accident and safety data and provide recommendations for developing and implementing remedial measures. Complete all required reports and forms and provides information to CEO.
- Inspect and rate unsafe conditions, according to factors such as severity of potential injury, likelihood of recurrence, employer's accident record, and evidence of voluntary compliance.
- Provide advice and instruct employees, supervisors, managers, and the CEO on the proper use of all safety equipment and how to avoid, correct, and remedy safety violations and/or incidents.
- Provide technical safety support on high-voltage electrical construction standards and work processes.
- Write new safety order proposal designed to protect workers from work methods, processes, or other hazards not previously covered, using knowledge of safety-engineering practices, available protective devices, safety testing, and occupational safety and health standards.
- Review and ensure LPEA meets all NRECA requirements.
- Interpret and clarify Federal, State, and/or Municipal Laws and regulations to advise employer of legal requirements. Provide advice and source data to prepare applications to regulatory bodies for changes in complaints or services.
- Recommend changes in legislation and administrative procedures to reflect technological and ecological changes and public sentiment. Review rulings to determine changes in legal stipulations and probable effects on company activities.
- Testify in legal proceedings and prepare documents for use of company witnesses summoned to testify.
- Act as liaison to, and work directly with, stakeholders who share a common responsibility to resolve problems for employee and organizational safety (i.e., management, staff employees, members, Federal, State, and Local Agency Representatives).
- Conduct informal meetings among various educational, civic, and industrial groups to promote general safety concepts.
- Prepare and review extensive monthly, quarterly, and annual summary data. Complete all required reporting.
- Safeguard facilities, control access to buildings and grounds, and provide personal safety to all involved.
- Assist in the development of departmental budget, goals, and objectives.
- Performs other duties as assigned.