Director of Emergency Management
- Published: Monday, 16 November 2020 09:59
Location: US, MT, Bozeman
Organization: Montana State University
The Director of Emergency Management (DEM) at Montana State University is responsible for leading the University’s efforts to mitigate, prepare for, respond to, and recover from emergencies, disasters and other crisis situations as determined by the university president. DEM is responsible for the development and continual oversight of the University’s Emergency Management Plan (EMP), which facilitates the coordination of communication between all University stakeholders. In the event of an emergency, the Director takes a leadership role in coordinating the University’s response.
- Provides leadership and oversight for the development of policy and strategy across the areas of emergency preparedness, disaster response and recovery, and continuity of operations.
- Responsible for coordinating with key leadership and decision-makers, faculty, and staff within both Montana State University and the University’s community and city/county/state partners to develop, implement, manage and optimize University-wide emergency preparedness and business continuity response plans and programs.
- Assesses business continuity priorities and coordinates institutional community alerts and emergency notification protocols.
- Provides leadership and management related to Montana State University’s efforts to plan for and respond to emergencies and to ensure a safe and healthy campus environment.
- Provides emergency management and risk management direction to Montana State University programs on international travel and study abroad.
- Oversees the viability and operational status of the University’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
- Exercises functional coordination over the University’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) team and Emergency Support Resource teams.
- Initiates, develops, leads and conducts emergency/disaster drills and exercises, and assists campuses, colleges, and departments in preparing appropriate localized plans.
- Maintains and updates the MSU emergency contact list.
- Directs training in emergency management, planning and preparedness for key University administrators and departmental directors at the University and across all campuses in the MSU system.
- Leads the development of an institutional business continuity plan by coordinating input from University leadership.
- Leads university departments in identifying key indicators (risk registers) that influence potential business impacts and help identify processes and procedures to improve response plans and business resilience.
- Leads departments in considering which peer departments or central services they would depend on in order to maintain or regain full functionality in emergency situations.
- Stay abreast of local, state, or national activities or changes that could affect the likelihood of an emergency at MSU, as well as those that could affect response efforts and details of plan implementation.
- Oversees the review of emergency plans of individual organizations to ensure their adequacy.
- Leads departments in creation of disaster recovery plans for critical systems and activities.
- Leads departments in creation of risk registers and business impact analysis (effects of losing resources and mitigating effects of those losses).