Senior Manager - Business Continuity Management
- Published: Monday, 13 March 2023 08:37
Location: US, WA, Seattle
Organization: Fred Hutch Cancer Centre
The Senior Manager - Business Continuity Program (BCP) is responsible for executing and maintaining the Fred Hutch enterprise business continuity management program designed to enable restoration of critical operational activities, manage communications, and minimize financial, patient care, and other effects of a major disruptive event.
This role works cross functionally with care delivery, scientific and administrative teams to reduce risk and drive greater resilience across Fred Hutch through planning, education, training, and analytics.
The Senior Manager BCP is expected to possess high level skills in emergency preparedness and business continuity practices, work under limited daily supervision, exercise judgment in making non-routine decisions, and demonstrate discretion in all matters related to program administration and confidential information.
This position reports to the AVP, Enterprise Risk Management.
- Leads the development and maintenance of the enterprise business continuity management program as part of the broader Enterprise Risk Management program. Ensures that the BCP program is in alignment with the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan and with emergency preparedness processes. Also ensures that the BCP program remains current and relevant to support Fred Hutch administrative, clinical care, and research operations, and associated regulatory requirements.
- Develops and maintains tools and instructional guides for emergency management and business continuity planning following industry best practices. Includes the development of tools for tracking individual departmental plan status, testing frequency, actual event response, and risk mitigation action items. This includes evaluating, designing, deploying, and maintaining integrated systems and technology to support planning, response, testing, and other program elements. This may involve managing vendor hosted applications.
- Collaborates with Security, Facilities Operations, Environmental Health & Safety, IT Operations, and Information Security teams to ensure a consistent approach to hazard vulnerability analysis, risk assessments, and incident response communications and coordination.
- Provides guidance, templates, and support to Fred Hutch administrative, clinical, and research departments in the development of specific emergency response and continuity plans to support operations following a disruption event. This includes facilitating business impact analysis with process owners to identify areas of highest risk, determine system, equipment, supplies, facilities, and staffing dependencies, and set recovery time objectives. Facilitates interaction between departments to ensure interdependencies are appropriately considered within the continuity plans.
- Provides on call support to the Incident Management Team during a business disruption event. Ensures the Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan is followed during the event and updated as needed once the event is resolved.
- Facilitates root cause analysis following disruptive events. Assists management in developing action plans. Monitors open action plans, working closely with management to assure plans are completed and risks are mitigated in a timely manner.
- Manages routine enterprise-wide and business unit specific disruption scenario planning and testing. Facilitates tabletop and other exercises, providing analysis and recommendations for improving Fred Hutch’s ability to successfully recover from a significant disruption event.
- Leads or participates in, as appropriate, internal emergency preparedness, continuity planning, and risk management related committees, councils, or initiatives including technology projects.
- Monitors business, regulatory, or industry-specific change initiatives, making recommendations to leadership regarding opportunities for improvement to prevent and mitigate business interruption.
- Acts as primary client contact and business continuity expert for technical, compliance or operational functions/activities including providing consultation on vendor contracting, and other third-party arrangements.
- Prepares reports and conducts presentations regarding the enterprise business continuity program to the Enterprise Risk Oversight Committee and/or its sub-committees. Provides presentations to other levels of the organization, as requested, including the board, management, and staff.
- Develops and provides training and educational materials on emergency response, business continuity planning, and risk management practices.