Tahara City and Toyota Motor Corporation have signed an agreement to strengthen coordination of disaster aid activities. The agreement forms part of Toyota's ongoing commitment to working with local stakeholders to create disaster-resilient communities.
Located in Aichi Prefecture, Tahara City is at risk of earthquakes originating in the Nankai Trough. Consequently, the city is actively engaged in the implementation of measures to prevent and mitigate disasters, in particular providing shelter from tsunamis and improving earthquake resistance. However, since in times of large-scale disasters there are limits to the efficacy of municipal measures, Tahara City is encouraging the collaboration of its citizens and local businesses to create a city that is well-prepared for emergencies.
As disasters can cause large-scale damage to communities, company operations and supply chains, Toyota is reorganizing its business continuity management systems and bolstering its preparedness for potential large-scale natural disasters based on the idea that post-disaster humanitarian support and rapid regional recovery systems are indispensable.
The agreement aligns the aims of Toyota and Tahara City and, in the event of a large-scale disaster, clearly lays out the form and content of Toyota's support for the region as regards rescue, emergency, and recovery activities. The agreement follows similar agreements made with Toyota City in October 2013, and Miyoshi City in February 2014.
Toyota will work with Tahara City to provide humanitarian assistance and regional recovery support as outlined below:
- Post-disaster rescue and relief;
- Provision of temporary evacuation sites following a major earthquake;
- Provision of food, drinking water, and other daily necessities;
- Provision of vehicles required for recovery (including HVs that can be used as external power supplies);
- Cargo handling assistance at Tahara City relief supply facilities;
- Provision of land necessary for construction work to repair city infrastructure;
- Provision of specialized berths; and
- Assistance in planning local recovery activities.
In addition, Toyota will also exchange disaster-related information with the city government to facilitate the smooth implementation of support measures.