The threat to British mainland from Northern Ireland-related terrorism has increased: MI5
- Published: Thursday, 12 May 2016 09:13
The UK Security Service, MI5, has increased the threat level to Great Britain from Northern Ireland-related terrorism from moderate to substantial.
This means that a terrorist attack is a strong possibility and reflects the continuing threat from dissident republican activity.
Despite the rise, this threat level remains lower than the international terrorism threat to the UK as a whole, which remains unchanged at severe, meaning that attacks are highly likely.
The range of UK threat levels are as follows:
- LOW means an attack is unlikely.
- MODERATE means an attack is possible, but not likely
- SUBSTANTIAL means an attack is a strong possibility
- SEVERE means an attack is highly likely
- CRITICAL means an attack is expected imminently.