M-Files Corporation has announced the findings from a survey into organizational information security trends conducted by the Association for Information and Image Management (AIIM) and supported by M-Files.
The survey revealed that 38 percent of organizations have experienced one or more information security breaches within the past year. In addition, nearly one-third (31 percent) of respondents feel their organization does an inadequate job of protecting confidential and sensitive information. Coincidentally, 36 percent noted that either their organization does not have a formally documented policy about how company information is stored, managed and shared - or that they didn't know if such a policy existed.
The survey also indicates that many companies are taking proactive steps to address these information security breach issues. Nearly six out of ten (59 percent) respondents stated that their organization has implemented new information security solutions, systems and/or protocols within the past year.
Based on an online survey of AIIM members located in the US, Canada, EMEA and other parts of the world, the new study also yielded the following findings:
- While unsecured network file folders are where most respondents felt their company is most vulnerable to internal information security breaches, paper files (46 percent) and data exposed by personal file sharing apps (44 percent) were also noted as weak points.
When asked about proactive steps their organization has taken to mitigate potential information security breaches:
- 62 percent said their company has created and communicated formal information governance policies to their employees.
- 59 percent have changed security and access rights to sensitive information.
- 47 percent have procured technology such as an EIM, ECM or document management system.
For organizations that have a formally documented policy in place for how company information is stored, managed and shared:
- 76 percent said their company requires employees to read information management standard operating procedures (SOPs) to ensure they're aware of the policy.
- 71 percent stated that their company uses an enterprise content management (ECM), EIM or document management system.
- 65 percent conduct formal training on management policies and procedures.