EU runs exercise to test response to large cyber incidents
- Published: Thursday, 14 October 2021 07:58
On October 12th, European Union nations tested response mechanisms that are in place to respond to large scale cross-border cyber incidents that impact businesses in the EU region. Blue OLEx 2021 was organized by the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA) and the Romanian National Cyber Security Directorate.
The Blue OLEx exercise tested the operating procedures for the EU Cyber Crisis Liaison Organisation Network (CyCLONe). CyCLONe is a cooperation network for EU Member States’ national authorities in charge of cyber crisis management to collaborate and develop timely information sharing and situational awareness based on tools and support provided by ENISA, which serves as the CyCLONe Secretariat.
The Blue OLEx exercise tested the role of the high-level actors in the standard operating procedures of the CyCLONe, with the aim of:
- Improving situational awareness and information sharing processes,
- Developing the roles and responsibilities of CyCLONe both at high-level actor and officer levels,
- Identifying improvements and/or potential gaps in the standardised way of responding to incidents and crises,
- Enhancing relationships between the members of the cyber security high-level actors of the national cyber security authorities of CyCLONe to strengthen coordination in case of a large-scale cross-border cyber incident or crisis.